>iOS 4 is the next generation of the world’s most innovative mobile operating system. Its unique capabilities and new technologies will change what’s possible on a mobile platform. iOS 4 is a free update for all compatible devices. iOS 4 carries over 100 new features and seven major features.
Apple has released version of iPhone OS 4 Beta with SDK for iPhone and iPod touch. iPhone Developers or Programmers can access these bits for iPhone OS 4 and SDK by using Apple developer connection.
API means Application Programming Interface. It is a set of functionality which is already created so we can use repeatedly so no need to build again because API is a collection of all Programming file. iPhone 4 SDK includes lots of New API innovations, improvements, features and bug fixes. iPhone OS 4 is fully supported iPhone 3GS and iPod 3GS but not multitasking.
Apple has released third beta of iOS 4.1 and it’s only available for registered iPhone Developers. iOS 4.1 Beta 3 delivers very few changes with one of the best noticeable of Game Centre.
With a rich set of over 1500 new APIs, iOS SDK 4 provides you with an amazing range of technologies to enhance the functionality of your iPhone and iPod touch apps. Registered Apple developers can visit the iPhone Dev Center to download the iOS SDK 4 now.
• App Folders
• Enhanced Mail app
• iBooks for iPhone and iPod touch
• Enhanced enterprise features
• Game Center
iOS 4 delivers seven new multitasking services that allow your apps to perform tasks in the background while preserving battery life and performance. These multitasking services include:
• Background audio – Allows your app to play audio continuously. So customers can listen to your app while they surf the web, play games, and more.
• Voice over IP – Your VoIP apps can now be even better. Users can now receive VoIP calls and have conversations while using another app. Your users can even receive calls when their phones are locked in their pocket.
• Background location – Navigation apps can now continue to guide users who are listening to their iPods, or using other apps. iOS 4 also provides a new and battery efficient way to monitor location when users move between cell towers. This is a great way for your social networking apps to keep track of users and their friends’ locations.
• Push notifications – Receive alerts from your remote servers even when your app isn’t running.
• Local notifications – Your app can now alert users of scheduled events and alarms in the background, no servers required.
• Task finishing – If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task.
• Fast app switching – All developers should take advantage of this. This will allow users to leave your app and come right back to where they were when they left – no more having to reload the app.
Apple’s new mobile advertising platform combines the emotion of TV ads with the interactivity of web ads. When users click on mobile ads they are almost always taken out of their app to a web browser, which loads the advertiser’s webpage. Users must then navigate back to their app, and it is often difficult or impossible to return to exactly where they left. iAd solves this problem by displaying full-screen video and interactive ad content without ever leaving the app, and letting users return to their app anytime they choose. iOS SDK 4 lets developers easily embed iAd opportunities within their apps, and the ads are dynamically and wirelessly delivered to the device. Apple will sell and serve the ads, and developers will receive 60 percent of iAd revenue.
The iOS 4 GM seed software and SDK includes a developer preview of the GameKit APIs that allows you to create apps that will work with Game Center, Apple’s new social gaming network. Your users can invite friends to play a game, start a multiplayer game through matchmaking, track their achievements, and compare their high scores on a leader board. The APIs are available to you now and Game Center will be available to iPhone and iPod touch users later this year.
iOS SDK 4 contains over 1500 new APIs to incorporate into your iPhone and iPod touch apps, including:
• Calendar Access
• In-App SMS
• Video playback & Capture
• Map Kit Improvements
• Quick Look
• Photo Library Access
• iOS 4 Compatibility
iOS 4 will work with iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Support for the second and third-generation iPod touch will be available this summer; iPad support will be available in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).
• iPhone 3G
• iPhone 3GS
• iPhone 4
• Second and third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB).
• File & delete Mail search results
• Search SMS/MMS messages
• Web search suggestions
• Choose image size in Mail messages
• Bluetooth keyboards
• Larger fonts for Mail, SMS & alerts
• Cell data only setting
• Spelling check
• Persistent Wi-Fi
• Gift Application
• Birthday calendar
• Recent Web searches
• Create Playlists
• Sync IMAP notes
• Top Hit in search
• 5x digital zoom
• Nested Playlists
• Tap to focus video
• Places in Photos
• iPod Out
• Home screen wallpaper
• Search SMS/MMS messages
• Wake on wireless